On Tuesday the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that more than 800,000 die from cardiovascular disease each year making it one of the leading causes of deaths in America. The report, which was released on Tuesday for American Heart Month, has many alarming facts about cardiovascular disease.
Facts About Cardiovascular Disease That You Need To Know
- every 39 seconds a person dies from heart attack or stroke
- 68 million Americans have been diagnosed with high blood pressure
- 71 million Americans have been diagnosed with high levels of bad cholesterol
- Two thirds of Americans don't control their bad cholesterol
- Half of Americans don't control their high blood pressure
- 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are under the age of 65
- Services that could save lives are not delivered to those who need them
- Health insurance is unable to help people control their high blood pressure or bad cholesterol
Heart Disease Doesn't Have to Kill You
The CDC report says that cardiovascular disease is preventable. Sure, officials and health care should take a more pro-active approach to combatting cardiovascular disease. It would save lives. But that will only tackle part of the problem. It begins with the individual. Most people can reduce their risk of dying from a stroke or heart attack if they give up bad babits.
Cut back on fattening foods, quit smoking, avoid alcohol, and make it a point to get in some form of exercise on a daily basis. If you do all of these things, you won't only reduce your chances of heart attack or stroke. You'll also lower your chances of developing metabolic syndrome, certain cancers, osteoporosis, and even dementia. So here's an opportunity to do something good for yourself. I hope that you do.
What do you think? Does the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's cardiovascular report make you re-think your lifestyle?
God's ways are beyond our understanding, which is all the more reason to fear Him and to believe in Him.
**Share this!! Share this!! You can do it! Use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and the other social media tools located in the sidebar and bottom of this article to tell others about this website.**
I'm living fit, healthy and happy(SM). Are you?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital Signs. http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/
"Cardiovascular Disease Leading Cause of Death For Americans: CDC Report" copyright © 2011 Living Fit, Healthy and Happy(SM). All Rights Reserved.